Sunday 9 May 2010

The Road to Morocco

I have done a bit of travelling in my later years,and here are some of my memories,

We were on a Mediterranean cruise and stopped at Morocco for the day. My friend Chrissie and I decided to take the tour bus to a souk. When we got there we saw a sign for a flush toilet and thought we should go as we had been warned about the facilities there. Outside there was a man in a long white robe with a toilet roll in his hand, he charged us one euro and gave us each a single sheet each. Thank God for tissues.

We went inside the souk and it was crowded, thousands of people , and of course we lost our friends. We did a bit of shopping and then thought we better go outside and look for the bus. Unfortunately we were lost and couldn't find the way out. Chrissie panicked, so I took charge and started asking people the way out . Most ignored me until this man in a white robe offered to show us the way. He took my hand, I took Chrissie's  hand and we walked in single file .Finally he pointed and said that's the door. I said " What a gentleman, thank you". he put his hand out and said " that is 10 euros". What for  ?, I asked him . For showing you out . No chance I thought opened my purse and gave him 10 pence and made a run for it.

We got outside to find our bus gone and when I spotted a taxi I asked the driver to take us to the ship for 10 euros , he nodded, so we got in . Another guy came over and said it would cost us 70 euros . I knew the ship was only 20 minutes away so of course I argued and refused to move. The driver eventually took us back to the ship . What a laugh . But I'm nobodies fool.